What is the Scottish Forum on Natural Capital?
The Scottish Forum on Natural Capital is an initiative which brings together public, private and voluntary sector organisations in order to protect and rebuild Scotland’s natural capital.
Through our work, we strive to enable businesses and policymakers gain a better understanding of how we rely on – and have an impact on – our natural capital. By making these connections visible, the protection and enhancement of Scotland’s natural wealth becomes a viable option for decision makers, providing benefits for the whole of society.
- A Scotland in which all parts of society, including companies, NGOs, the Government, public bodies and communities, recognise our reliance on natural capital and the impact we have on it.
- A Scotland in which an understanding of our relationship with natural capital leads to action to protect and rebuild it.
- A Scotland which is exercising leadership to galvanise action both here and beyond Scotland’s borders
To deliver on our goals, the Scottish Forum will focus on:
1. Building on the Scottish Government’s commitments in relation to natural capital, as expressed in the National Strategy for Economic Transformation (NSET) and the National Performance Framework, to support a policy framework informed by natural capital thinking, including the use of appropriate business incentives and penalties.
2. Bringing together Scotland’s public, private and voluntary sectors to actively shape natural capital research in Scotland and create dynamic and successful innovation programmes to develop new approaches to protect and enhance natural capital.
3. Supporting action to increase investment in natural capital from a cross-sector range of stakeholders and the adoption of natural capital related initiatives (e.g. Natural Capital Protocol) by a wide range of Scottish organisations.
Explore our vision and strategy in more detail
Our Steering Group
The Steering Group of the Scottish Forum on Natural Capital, is made up of senior representatives from the public, private and voluntary sectors.
The Scottish Forum on Natural Capital was founded in 2013 by the Scottish Wildlife Trust, Scotland’s 2020 Climate Group, the University of Edinburgh, the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Scotland, and the Institute of Directors Scotland as part of the inaugural World Forum on Natural Capital.
Former First Minister, Alex Salmond, announced the Scottish Government’s support for the initiative in his address to delegates at the World Forum, and this sentiment has been reaffirmed by the current First Minister, Nicola Sturgeon, during her subsequent speeches at the 2015 and 2017 World Fora.
Today, the Scottish Forum’s membership comprises of over 120 businesses, government bodies, academic institutions and non-governmental organisations from across Scotland, helping to turn our vision into a reality.
If your organisation would like to become a member, please click here.